serves 6-8 as part of a shared meal
- 1 large onion, peeled & diced
- 2T vegetable oil
- 2 bunches large beetroot (approx 900g)
- 3 sprigs fresh curry leaves
- 6 large green chillies, halved lengthwise
- 1T ground dried coriander
- 2t sugar
- 1/4C red wine vinegar
- 350mL coconut milk
- Trim beets and scrub well.
- Cut off any scanky bits of beet and cut each into 6-8 wedges.
- Place oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat.
- Add onion and cook for approx 10mins stirring frequently or until onion has softened.
- Add prepared beets, curry leaves, chillies and coriander and fry for a few more minutes.
- Season with sugar and red wine vinegar and add coconut milk and enough water to make a creamy sauce.
- Bring to a simmer and then cook covered for 40min to 1 hour or until beetroot is tender and everything has a lovely regal purple hue.
many thanks to StoneSoup