Adapted from Donna Hay Magazine, Issue 38
- 1 2/3 cup plain flour
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 180g cold butter, chopped
- 1/3 cup iced water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Rhubarb and Strawberry Filling:
- ½ bunch rhubarb (about 200g), rinsed, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 punnet strawberries (250g), rinsed, hulled and quartered
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten, for brushing
- Granulated sugar, for sprinkling
- To make the pastry, place flour, sugar and baking powder in a food processor and process to combine. Add butter and process until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Gradually add the water and vanilla and process until the mixture comes together to form a smooth dough. Wrap in plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 30 minutes before rolling out. Preheat oven to 160°C (320°F)
- To make filling, place strawberries, rhubarb, sugar, cornflour and vanilla in a bowl and mix well to combine. Set aside.
- Halve the pastry and roll out each piece to 3mm thick. Line the base of a lightly greased 22cm metal pie tin with a piece of the pastry. Spoon the filling mixture into the pastry shell.
- Cut the remaining pastry into 12 x 2cm wide strips. Arrange the strips on top in a lattice pattern. Press the edges to seal and trim the excess. Brush with eggwhite and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the pastry is golden and crisp. Serve warm, with custard or ice cream.
many thanks to Lisa from Spicy Icecream