For the Soup:
- 3 tablespoons clarified butter or extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 large potato peeled and chopped
- 1 ½ pounds cauliflower, coarsely chopped
- 5 cups vegetable stock or water
- 1/3 cup heavy cream or Cashew Cream
- fine-grain sea salt (I used kosher salt, still good)
For the Pesto:
- ½ cup toasted Brazil nutes (I only had pine nuts, still good)
- 2 handfuls spinach leaves, stemmed
- 4 cloves garlic
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- generous pinch of fine-grain sea salt (I used kosher)
- Heat the butter in a soup pot over medium-high heat, add the garlic, onion,
- and red pepper flakes and sauté for 2 or 3 minutes, until translucent.
- Stir in the potato and cauliflower and cook for another couple of
- Add the stock, bring to a simmer, and cook until the
- vegetables are tender.
- Remove from the heat and puree thoroughly with a
- handheld immersion blender. Stir in the cream and season to taste.
To Make the Pesto:
- Puree all the ingredients in a blender or food processor until smooth.
- Taste and add more salt if needed.
- Ladle the soup into individual bowls, drop a spoonful of pesto in each one, and use a knife or toothpick to swirl.
many thanks to Erielle from Fancy Toast