Adapted from Epicurious
Strawberry Thyme Compote
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon thyme leaves
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups strawberries, washed and cut into halves or quarters
- 2 cups whole milk
- ½ cup sugar
- Peel from half a lemon, removed with a vegetable peeler in strips
- Pinch salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- To make strawberry lemon thyme syrup, combine sugar, water, lemon thyme and lemon juice in a small saucepan. Bring to the boil, stirring occasionally until sugar is dissolved. Cool to room temperature and then stir in vanilla.
- Spoon 3 teaspoons of syrup into each of six ¾ cup ramekins. Place ramekins into a large baking dish. Allow syrup to infuse overnight.
- Combine milk, sugar, lemon peel, and salt in medium saucepan. Bring to the boil and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Uncover and let milk mixture steep at room temperature 1 hour. Return milk mixture to a simmer. Strain into a small bowl and discard the lemon peel.
- Preheat oven to 170°C (350°F). Whisk eggs and egg yolks in medium bowl to blend. Gradually whisk warm milk mixture into egg mixture.
- Divide custard among prepared ramekins. Pour enough hot water into baking pan to come halfway up sides of ramekins. Bake custards until centers are set and thin knife inserted at edge of dish cleanly separates custard from dish, about 45 minutes. Remove flans from water. Cool for 1 hour, and then refrigerate flans uncovered overnight.
- Pour lemon thyme syrup over the cut up strawberries. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours maximum before serving.
- Run small thin knife around flans to loosen. Invert each flan onto plate. Serve with strawberry lemon thyme compote.
many thanks to Lisa from Spicy Icecream