- 2T olive oil
- ½ small brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, sliced
- 150g cauliflower florettes
- 1/2C (125mL) chicken stock
- 40g butter + extra for greasing
- 1T wholegrain mustard
- 40g plain flour
- 250mL milk, warmed
- 3 eggs, separated
- 100g gorgonzola piccante, crumbled
- 1/2C (125mL) pouring cream
- 60g parmesan cheese, finely grated
- walnut & celery salad, to serve
- Grease 4 one cup capacity ramekins or coffee mugs and preheat oven to 200C.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and cook onion over medium heat until golden brown and softened.
- Add garlic and cauliflower and cook, stirring occasionally for approx 5 mins or until cauliflower is starting to brown.
- Add stock and bring to a simmer.
- Cook for approx 15mins or until stock has evaporated and cauliflower is softened.
- Puree cauliflower in a food processor and season well.
- Heat butter in a medium saucepan until melted.
- Add mustard and flour and stir until well combined.
- Cook over a medium heat, stirring for a few minutes.
- Remove from heat and gradually whisk in the warm milk.
- Return to the heat and bring to a simmer, stirring constantly.
- Cook for 5mins or until thickened. Stir through cauliflower puree and egg yolks.
- Gently stir in gorgonzola chunks.
- Whisk egg whites to firm peaks and delicately fold through cauliflower mixture until just combined.
- Gently divide between prepared ramekins and bake 20-30mins or until risen and golden.
- Allow to cool then cover and refrigerate until needed.
When ready to serve:
- Heat oven to 200C and pour 2T cream over each ramekin.
- Top with grated parmesan and bake for 20-25mins or until puffed up, golden and sizzling.
- Place on 4 warmed dinner plates and serve immediately with salad passed separately.
many thanks to StoneSoup