- 6 baby leeks, or 3 mature leeks
- Olive oil
- Splash of white wine vinegar
- Sea Salt
- Fresh black pepper
- Small handful of basil leaves
- Start by washing the leeks.
- Cut off the root. If you are using mature leeks cut them in half lengthwise.
- Discard the outer layer of mature leeks. Only discard the outer layer of baby leeks if looks tough.
- Get a pot of boiling water on the go, and bung the leeks in there for a couple of minutes – until softened. Prepare an ice bath.
- Plunge the leeks into the ice bath, to stop further cooking. An overcooked leek is just as bad as an undercooked one.
- Heat up the BBQ, grill pan or oven broiler to high.
- Drain the now cold leeks, and dry gently using a paper towel. Toss with a little olive oil, and place on the grill, or under the broiler.
- Grill just for a couple of minutes, until lightly browned, and the grill lines appear.
- Toss them into a bowl, and add another splash of olive oil, and a smaller splash of white wine vinegar. Add a pinch of sea salt, and some freshly ground black pepper.
- Cut the basil leaves into thin slices (chiffonade), and add those into the bowl of leeks. Gently toss to combine and serve immediately.
sourced from: mattikaarts