Recipe adapted from Donna Hay Magazine (Issue 40)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 brown onions, sliced thickly
- 4 cloves garlic (or 3 large)
- 6 x 200g osso bucco (veal shin)
- ¾ cup dry red wine
- 1 cup beef stock
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- Sea salt and black pepper
- 1 x 400g can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (355°F). Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large metal baking dish over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 8-10 minutes or until golden. Remove from the pan.
- Add the remaining oil and increase the heat. Cook veal for 3-4 minutes each side until well browned. Watch out because it may stick.
- Add the onion and garlic back to the pan and gradually add the wine, scraping the bottom of the pan. Cook 1-2 minutes or until reduced by half.
- Add stock, tomatoes, water, bay leaves, rosemary, salt and pepper and stir to combine. Cover with foil and cook in the oven for 1 ½ hours.
- Carefully remove from the oven, add the beans and stir. Place back in the oven for 15-30 minutes, or until veal is tender. Serve with mashed potatoes, polenta or risotto if desired.
many thanks to Lisa from Spicy Icecream