- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon chopped rosemary, plus 6 sprigs for ramekins
- 1 small red onion, sliced into 6 1/4″ rounds
- 4 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, grated
- 1 egg yolk, slightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Butter ramekins, then sprinkle with salt, pepper, sugar, and vinegars.
- Place a rosemary sprig in the bottom of each ramekin, then lay one onion round over the rosemary.
- Toss potatoes with egg, rosemary, and 2 teaspoons coarse salt.
- Divide the potatoes into ramekins and dot with remaining butter.
- Bake for 30 minutes, until brown.
- To remove the cakes, slide a knife around the edge of the ramekin, then turn upside down.
many thanks to Erielle from Fancy Toast