~from Jamie’s Kitchen, by Jamie Oliver
- 3 heads of garlic, separated into cloves but not peeled
- 1 medium white onion, peeled and finely chopped
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 ¾ pints chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 large loaf of ciabatta bread
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 7 oz. whole blanched almonds, lightly toasted
- salt and pepper
- 3 oranges, peeled and segemented
- 1 handful fresh cilantro (leaves only)
- 1 handful fresh mint (leaves only)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Roast garlic for 30-45 minutes until it is soft to the touch.
- Meanwhile, heat 4 tablepoons of oil in a large pot, add the onions, and cook over medium-low heat for 10 minutes, until soft and translucent.
- Add the cream and the stock. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- When the garlic is done, cool slightly and squeeze the wonderful garlic paste into the soup.
- Stir in the garlic.
- Cut or tear the crusts from the ciabatta, rip the bread into small pieces, and add to the soup. Add the sherry vinegar and simmer for 5 minutes.
- In a food processor, blend the soup. Add the toasted almonds and blend those in as well.
- Season to taste.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with orange segments, cilantro and mint. Drizzle with olive oil.
many thanks to Lisa from Spicy Icecream